Welcome to the 90’s and Don’t Forget Your Scrunchie

Hi Friends!

This past weekend my husband, David, and I had the opportunity to attend a 90’s theme party at a local kid’s museum.  We both will dress up like idiots for just about any occasion and this was an awesome occasion…the 1990’s.

90's

First let me say that the 90’s were comfortable.  Legging, jumpers, combat boots, poofy starter jackets, jenko’s and flannel shirts, are all items that you can wear curled up on a futon brewing with teenaged angst.

Second-the 90’s are back. One trip to Target will prove my point.

Here is what I wore.

90's doodle

I found this denim jumper at a thrift store, but instead of being vintage, it is made by Free People and it is relatively new. I added some 90’s doodles to create authenticity.

hypercolor text

I found a Hyper-Color shirt at discount store for $2.99. I couldn’t believe my luck.

. I picked up  these boots from Target and will totally wear them again and again this fall. My 15 year old self had a sweet pair of maroon color Dr. Martens that I wish I still had. I lost one boot at a rest-stop when it fell out of our minivan while traveling to Grandma’s for Thanksgiving. It was a bummer.

I also picked up some black and white aztec leggings that will be now known as my “sleepy time pants”.

My husband went shopping in our attic for his vintage Charlotte Hornet Starter Jacket.

One item that I desperately needed from the 1990’s was … the Scrunchie. Fortunately for me, I still remembered how to create a scrunchie in minutes.

Welcome to the 90’s and  the DIY Scrunchie

Don't Forget the Scrunchie by Paper & Fox

Welcome to the 90's by Paper and Fox

I used items that I already had at home. A bandana, elastic (ideally you would want to use 3/8″ wide elastic), thread, scissors.

Scrunchie

Fold in half lengthwise with the pattern facing the inside.  Mark where you will be sewing. You will leave 1 1/2″ of the bottom and top open. So,  1 1/2″  from the top you will begin sewing lengthwise and stop 1 1/2″ before the bottom. Sew about 1/2″ in along the edge. I guesstimated.

scrunchie3

Turn the fabric tube right side out.  Fold one end to meet the other with the right sides facing each other. Pin them together.
Sew together. Place a safety-pin on one side of the elastic and feed it through the fabric tube.
When you have both ends of elastic sticking out, determine the length of elastic that you need. Rule of thumb, scrunchies need to be large enough to wear on your wrist. Mark your desired length and sew them together and sew across them to make a circle of elastic inside the tube.

scrunchie5

Stitch  the fabric edges together as close to close the opening and complete the scrunchie circle of life. Trim and enjoy. I think I know what everyone is getting for Christmas this year.

I hope you enjoyed the trip to the 1990’s with me.

Thanks, Carmody

P.S. Target has a sale on Boots right now.

, , , , , ,

18 Responses to Welcome to the 90’s and Don’t Forget Your Scrunchie

1. Aria Brown August 18, 2014 at 8:01 am #

oh the Charlotte Hornets starter jacket!!! I remember those!!!

• carmody August 18, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

Aria, you had to have a Charlotte Hornet Starter.

2. Alli August 18, 2014 at 9:22 am #

OMG – you rocked the 90’s look – scrunchies, doc martins, Charlotte Hornets jacket – you took me back – way back . . . to my kid’s growing up years. :) I hope you won the best dressed contest!

• carmody August 18, 2014 at 8:17 pm #

Thanks Alli, No contest, but had fun. After the even we went to grab a bite to eat at a restaurant and immediately felt awkward in our attire.

3. PoisedinPrint.com August 18, 2014 at 10:16 am #

You took it way back! The 90s were quite a hoot; the fashions, the tunes, the entire vibe. You both look fantastic.

• carmody August 18, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

Thank you!

4. Rebecca Chapman August 18, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

You both looked so cute! And great scrunchy tutorial. I miss those days!

• carmody August 18, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

A lot of my 1990’s Friday nights included bad movies, twizzlers and scrunchie making.

5. Neatly-Packaged (@Neatly_Packaged) August 18, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

OMG how cute!!! :)

6. Kristin August 18, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

OMG, I literally just commented on another blog about the 90s(ish) boots at Target. Too funny!!

• carmody August 18, 2014 at 8:14 pm #

Kristin, they are so 90’s in Target.

7. Sarah August 19, 2014 at 8:17 am #

I love it! I wore soooo many scrunchies! Such a fun idea for the parents at the museum!

8. Al August 19, 2014 at 8:12 pm #

Scrunchies were one of the first things I learned to sew. As a teen in the 90s I wore my fair share, along with a lot of plaid.

• carmody August 20, 2014 at 8:44 am #

I also wore a crazy amount of plaid. Pretty sure I even had a plaid Scrunchie.

9. Julie@Sweet and Spicy Monkey August 21, 2014 at 8:50 am #

How cute you two are!! I actually still use a scrunchie because its the only thing that won’t knot up in my hair. Everything else for ponytails just knots my hair all up. Glad to see its making a comeback. Thanks for sharing!!

10. Andrea @ This Pug Life August 23, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

Nooo the 90s is not old enough to be a theme party! Right… right??

Seriously though, in my grade school Adidas jackets were the thing over Starter jackets. Especially Cowboys, even though we’re in Illinois.

• carmody August 25, 2014 at 8:27 am #

Andrea, yes, I do remember Adidas jackets.It is crazy that the 90’s are now a theme.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 15 DIY Halloween Costumes |  Paper & Fox - August 31, 2014

[…] is a little bit early, but I am already excited about Halloween and costumes.  I mentioned in my 1990′s party post that my husband David, and I are not afraid of dressing up in crazy costume for any […]