Upcycled Thrift Store Tray

Hi Friends!

Sometimes the simplest accents can add a lot of personality to a room. It doesn’t hurt it the simple accent cost less than $5.00.  I was on the hunt for a little tray to act as a landing zone for our keys and sunglasses.  I would say that I am addicted to sunglasses.  If I forget them, I spend the entire outing thinking about how bright it is or the wrinkles that I am creating from squinting. I won’t even bore you about losing my keys.  I headed out to Goodwill and found a perfect little tray.  I am guessing it was a trey to hold candles.  I purchased the upcycled tray for $1.99.  Not bad huh?

Upcycled Tray

My Upcycled Thrift Store Tray

upcycle tray

It wasn’t pretty, but spray-paint can pretty much fix any “ill looking” item.  I am really into coastal inspired colors right now and I chose this pretty blue spray-paint.

Upcyled Tray

Isn’t this a great color?  I applied 2 coats of spray-paint to the tray and let dry over night.

upcycled tray

It was nice and pretty just being blue, but I wasn’t finished.  With my friend the Sharpie, I started drawing little scales on the tray.  Sometimes little monotonous tasks like drawing little scallops over and over again calms down my brain.  I doodled the scales while supervising my boys take their bath. They were screaming and dumping  water on each others heads and I was pretending to draw mermaid scales on a metal tray.

upcycled tray

upcycled tray

Now, my little upcycled tray is a pretty place to put my sunglasses.  It was easy and inexpensive.  I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did creating it. Spray-paint is a glorious thing!

If you are interested in me writing for you, please contact me at paperandfox@gmail.com

Thanks, Carmody

FacebookPinterestInstagramTwitter

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Upcycled Thrift Store Tray

1. Eatbreathetravel (@SuggsTravel) April 18, 2014 at 10:16 am #

Cute cute idea! Thanks for sharing. I love to spray paint things too. It changes everything.

• carmody April 19, 2014 at 8:33 am #

Thanks so much. Spray Paint is great.

2. Crystal Duncan (@FindingCrystal) April 18, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

I love finding stuff that I can pin to my craft board. I’m not a crafty person so there is literally no pins there. This is a great idea and I loved how it turned out. Email me at contact@findingcrystal.com if you want to pin to my Craft board. I’ve made it a group board so I can get other bloggers that want to pin their stuff there. Like I said, I’m not a crafty person.

• carmody April 19, 2014 at 8:34 am #

Thanks for pinning my tray Crystal. I will send you a email and would love to add to the group board.

3. alvinacastro3 April 19, 2014 at 2:03 am #

This is gorgeous! I love the blue color. It really pops! I cant believe the difference between the before and after. spray paint really does make a big difference

• carmody April 19, 2014 at 8:37 am #

Thank you so much Alvina. It was also easy and that makes me love the tray even more.

4. Shanice April 21, 2014 at 11:27 am #

Soo cute! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams it starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

5. Heidi Fowler April 21, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

Great job, Carmody! I love the design you created with Sharpie! So clever.

• carmody April 24, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

Thanks Heidi!

6. Heather Smith {Woods of Bell Trees} April 23, 2014 at 12:37 am #

This turned out sooooo cute! That is my fave spray paint brand! I actually just did a project with that same color! :D

• carmody April 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

It is my favorite brand too.

7. Oh, the Fun of It April 23, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

Great idea! I like the Sharpie detailing :)

• carmody April 24, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

Thank you so much. I have a weakness for Sharpies.

8. Carrie from Carrie This Home April 24, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

Love, love, love this. I need to make one for myself-I’m constantly loosing my keys and sunglasses and this would solve the problem. I’ll be featuring this at the next Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop on Sunday night! Thanks so much for sharing this!

• carmody April 24, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

Thank you so much Carrie! I am glad you like it!

9. myfairdaily April 30, 2014 at 9:58 am #

Newest follower right here! Love this easy DIY idea, and I want to explore doing more of this myself :D Found you on Blog Hobnob Linkup!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop 73 - April 27, 2014

[…] loved this Upcycled Tray from Paper and Fox.  Now I want to make one of these for […]