Parks and Rec Coasters

Hi Friends,

This is one of those projects that was really simple, but also one that I really enjoyed.

Parks and Recreation Coasters

My boys and I really love playing outside and we are lucky to live in a city that has nice parks. This is the perfect time of year to get the most out of them, before the sweltering heat begins. I am not kidding about the heat.  My son and I were talking about his favorite parks and I decided to create these little Parks and Rec Coasters.

Parks and Rec Coasters

I went to Charlotte Mecklenburg Parks and Recreation website and downloaded maps of his favorite parks:

Midwood, Independence, Latta and Freedom

I edited the map images in my favorite photo editing software and added text to each image.

Parks and Rec Coasters

I printed the images on heavy cardstock.

Parks and Rec Coasters

I went to a craft store and picked up 4 wood veneer square shapes with rounded corners.  I trimmed each image to fit the wood veneer. Then, I attached each image to the wood veneer with Mod Podge.  Once each piece was complete dry, I applied a layer of spray varnish over each coaster.

Parks and Rec Coasters

The coasters are sealed and ready to use.  In addition to spending more time outdoors in the summer, we also spend more time entertaining. These little coasters will be a a great addition to summer cocktails and friends. They would also make for pretty cute personalized gifts.

Thanks for visiting, Carmody

If you are interested in me writing for you, please contact me at paperandfox@gmail.com

, , , , , ,

20 Responses to Parks and Rec Coasters

1. Bre @ Average But Inspired May 13, 2014 at 8:42 am #

So cute, Carmody! These definitely would make perfect gifts, too. Love them!

2. Marti May 13, 2014 at 5:13 pm #

great gift idea and easy to create too

• carmody May 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

Thanks for visiting Marti.

3. Lauren @ The Thinking Closet May 14, 2014 at 2:33 am #

How cool are these?! I perked up to see the mention of “Parks and Rec” as my hubby and I love the TV show, but this is even better because it’s a shout-out to your own parks and rec! Go local! Whoo hoo! I have a tradition of making coasters every November, so I’m pinning this for future inspiration. Thanks, Carmody!

• carmody May 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm #

Thanks Lauren! What started the November coaster making tradition?

4. Heather Smith {Woods of Bell Trees} May 14, 2014 at 4:47 am #

These turned out great! I also thought these were made after Parks and Rec! haha But, I agree with Lauren I love it that you made these in honor of your parks! :D

• carmody May 14, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

I heart the show too! Thanks Heather,

5. Alexis @ Persia Lou May 16, 2014 at 2:05 am #

These are so pretty, Carmody! And I love that they have special meaning to your family. Thank you for sharing them with us at The Makers. :)

6. Madaline May 17, 2014 at 6:43 am #

Ok, again, AMAZING! I’m totally going to try this out!!! What an awesome gift this would make for people.

7. Krista thehappyhousie May 17, 2014 at 11:54 am #

So cute Carmody – I love this idea! Pinned!!

• Carmody May 19, 2014 at 11:56 am #

Thanks so much Krista!

8. Kim~madeinaday May 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

Stopping by to let you know I am featuring your coasters tomorrow! Thanks for joining the Perpetual Party Board!
    Kim

• carmody May 22, 2014 at 9:13 pm #

Thank you so much Kim!

9. Heather May 29, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

Love your coasters – how clever! I featured you in my latest post at Bright Settings! http://www.brightsettings.com/BrightIdeas/10-summer-diy-decor-ideas/ I’m following you on Facebook too! Have a great week – Heather

• carmody May 29, 2014 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks so much Heather!

10. B.Brittain-Marshall (@ritewhileucan) July 4, 2014 at 12:46 am #

These coasters are so clever and unique! Your choice of font is just perfect too. Found you via “BlogHobnob” linkup over at “MadeInADay.” Being a bit of a paper junkie and lover of stationery I love the name of your blog. Nice to meet you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 10 Summer DIY Decor Ideas - The Bright Ideas Blog - April 2, 2019

[…] parks! How fun! These would be a great gift idea for the camper or RV lover that you know! DIY Parks and Recreation Coasters from Paper and […]