More Chic than Shabby
Interior design tips to create the perfect eclectic and stylish room.
When it comes to home décor I love vintage, second-hand and well-loved pieces. I try to avoid using a ton of bleached-out and pastel colors when incorporating shabby chic elements in a room. I love combining soft textures and clean lines. Decorating a room with different furniture styles, materials, colors, and patterns can create a chic more than shabby look — but it can also be hard to pull off. Here are easy tricks for mixing vintage, modern, and shabby chic design in a sitting area, so that your home looks thoughtful instead of a one where you would find a crazy cat lady.
All of the stylish pieces below can be found at Chairish, a curator approved, online marketplace for vintage and used furniture. Visit their “Shabby Chic” collection to create your own “More Chic than Shabby” look.
1. Stylish Organization- Every room needs to provide the ability to store your beautiful items in a beautiful way . This magazine rack is simple, unassuming and useful.
2. Bold Art- Having one stand-out piece of art can add interest to any room. This Desjardins Print “Cuba Libre” is a perfect wow piece.
3. Less is More Seating – Sure you need to sit and relax, but you can do it without taking up the entire room with furniture. This bamboo settee is a perfect seat that you can use with different styles and any color rug.
4. Functional Flavor – An antique shabby chic trunk like this Romanian Dome Trunk can act as a coffee table and hide just about anything.
5. Something Soft- Every sitting room needs a soft element. The playful and geometric lines on a rug by West Elm go perfectly with the lines on the settee. See… old + new mix well. The plush pile makes it soft and comfortable for your little toes to walk on too.
6. Shine – A little brass deer on a side table can play on different shadows and reflective light in the room. It is also pretty darn cute.
7. Texture – A tribal geometric woven tray used as a tray on the trunk or as a wall accent piece will add a chic element using natural materials.
8. Lighting – A vintage floor lamp with the bonus of a drink table has the appeal of great style and creates a cozy ambiance perfect for your glass of wine.