House Hunting in Charleston – Learning that homes cost a little bit more here

House Hunting in Charleston

Hi Friends!

Over the last month we have been seriously house hunting in Charleston, S.C.  There are so many distinct areas to live in and around Charleston. You can live downtown, Mount Pleasant, Isle of Palms, West Ashley, James Island and John’s Island. Those are just the areas that we looked at.

For us, and a lot of families, schools play a huge part in where we want to live. I toured a few schools and zoned in on the districts that I liked. It did not take long to understand that a home in our budget in Charlotte looks a lot different from a home in our budget in Charleston. We usually go for a 1950’s ranch that might need a few updates.  I felt like I had been hit in the stomach after viewing Charleston ranch homes in our budget.  They had potential, but needed a lot of work. The homes were a lot smaller than the average Charlotte ranch and cost too much…for us.

I had a choice, dwell in the fact that we would not be living in a cute 1950’s ranch in an established neighborhood or change my plan.

boys running

We took a break from house hunting and headed to the beach.  This is one of the reasons why we want to be in Charleston.  The goal is an easier and more laid back life. I know, easier said than done.

Star fish

It was beautiful and exactly what I needed.

Winter at the beach

So we went back out with a new perspective.

1. We did not have to live in a 1950’s ranch.

2. We did not have to live in an established neighborhood.

3. We needed great schools.

4. We needed a place that we could spend more time at the beach and discovering our new city instead of working on our home.

pond

And we found it.

XOXO Carmody

9 Responses to House Hunting in Charleston – Learning that homes cost a little bit more here

1. Mary Leigh February 17, 2015 at 7:18 pm #

Congratulations on finding it! Sometimes a new perspective can be really helpful! It’s great that you were able to determine which of the features that was really important to you (schools) and then be willing to compromise on the other things.

• carmody February 18, 2015 at 9:02 am #

Mary Leigh, Schools are really #1 everything else is 2nd. Thanks so much!

2. Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods February 18, 2015 at 8:12 am #

We have best friends that live in Charleston and I totally get what you mean about house budgets! I can’t wait to see your new house!

• carmody February 18, 2015 at 9:04 am #

Thanks Ashley! It was a wake-up call for sure.

3. Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum February 18, 2015 at 11:37 am #

Congrats! I can’t wait to see what you picked. I’d love to live near the beach. Charleston looks beautiful!

4. Emily, Our house now a home February 19, 2015 at 11:39 am #

That looks like a beautiful area. I live in Wisconsin now but grew up in Oceanside California. I miss the beach every single day. Just getting outside and moving, playing, feeling the sun. The cost of moving to California and keeping the lifestyle we have now makes my head spin. Maybe one day….. Can’t wait to see what you picked!

5. Beverly Roderick February 19, 2015 at 6:02 pm #

Welcome to Charleston! There are so many great things about the area. It’s great that you found a place you love. I’m in the West Ashley area you mentioned, so not that close to the beach, but only a short drive. I hope you love it here!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. On Display Thursday #31 - The Domestic Heart - February 19, 2015

[…] Turning a copper plumbing tee into a handle / House Hunting in Charleston […]

2. On Display Thursday link party - No. 31 - Table and Hearth - February 25, 2016